Strength assessment request for external clinicians
Although a lot of people wonder if their back pain may arise as a result of poor “core strength”, not everyone is weak. However, similar to best practice guidelines for managing osteoarthritis of the knee and hip, optimising strength of people with back and neck pain is likely be important in developing a recovery strategy. Strength testing allows clinicians to quantify and determine the relevance of strength in each individuals’ pain presentation. If significant weakness is present, then it makes sense to restore strength.
Superspine uses advanced DAVID technology to measure strength of back, trunk and leg muscles and JTech Isotrak Pro station to test shoulder and elbow strength. We can compare trunk and neck strength to a normative database. A report is generated with detailed information (see the image below for a sample report using DAVID equipment). We can also retest and compare how your patient has progressed with training.
You can test cervical, thoracolumbar, shoulder and lower limb strength
External clinicians (physiotherapists, osteopaths, chiropractors, GP’s and surgeons) can use this page to request a strength assessment. A report (see a sample below) can be provided to the patient on the day and emailed to the referrer. The report compares the persons strength to a normative database based on over 1000 people without back pain. The cost to the patient varies from $80 to $140 depending on the number of tests required. Area that can be tested include:
- Cervical Flexion
- Cervical Extension
- Cervical Lateral Flexion
- Cervical Rotation
- Thoraco-lumbar extensor strength
- Trunk rotation (lumbar spine dominant) strength – left and right
- Trunk lateral flexion strength – left and right
- Trunk flexion strength (Richmond clinic only)
- Leg press strength – bilateral, single leg left and right (Forest Hill clinic only)
- Calf strength – bilateral, single leg left and right (Forest Hill clinic only)
- Shoulder flexion (Forest Hill clinic only)
- Shoulder abduction (Forest Hill clinic only)
- Shoulder internal and external rotation (Forest Hill clinic only)
- Elbow extension (Forest Hill clinic only)
- Elbow flexion (Forest Hill clinic only)
Superspine uses advanced DAVID technology to measure strength of back, trunk and leg muscles to test if weakness is present and if it is important. We can compare your strength to what is typical, matched by gender and body weight (using a normative database). A report is generated with detailed information. If strength is important, we can devise a strength training program that will suit you. We can also retest and compare how you have progressed with training.